- Remote-Proctored CLT: If you are taking the remote-proctored version of the Official CLT, please see our Remote Proctoring page, and note that some of the information below may not apply to you.
- Saturday CLT at a Testing Site: If you are taking the Official CLT on one of our public, Saturday test dates (excluding remote-proctored tests such as June 20 and August 22), please see our Student Test Day Checklist.
- In-School Exams: If you are taking the Official CLT, the CLT10, or the CLT8 in school, your school will provide you with instructions. Please continue reading below for general information about your test.
- At-Home CLT10/CLT8: If you are taking the CLT10 or the CLT8 at home, instructions will be emailed to both your email and your emergency contact email in the weeks leading up to test day. Please continue reading below for general information about your test.
- Duration: The CLT and CLT10 exams take two hours, excluding the Optional Essay, which takes thirty minutes. The CLT8 takes two hours and fifteen minutes and does not include an essay. For all three exams, additional time is required for pre- and post-test instructions, surveys, and a ten-minute restroom break.
- Test Content: See a breakdown here.
Browser and Software Requirements
- The best browser for CLT, CLT10, and CLT8 exams is Chrome (which may be downloaded here for free), although Firefox, Internet Explorer/Edge, and Safari are also generally compatible. We do not recommend using a browser other than these four. If you're taking the remote-proctored CLT, however, please use Chrome; if you can't use Chrome, use Firefox; other browsers are not recommended.
- Make sure your device has completed any necessary updates before test day and is fully up-to-date. Laptops or desktops are preferable, although tablets are also acceptable (but for the remote-proctored CLT, tablets are not permitted). CLT and CLT10 students planning to take the Optional Essay should use a laptop instead of a tablet, for typing considerations.
Take advantage of the free practice tests available on the “Practice” tab on your CLT account. Submit your practice tests and receive your scores instantly, along with detailed answer explanations for each question. Additional practice tests are available in the CLT Student Guide, which may be purchased on the “Dashboard” tab on your account.
Know Your Device
- Get familiar with your testing device well before test day. Ensure you know how to perform such tasks as zooming in and out, scrolling up and down, logging in to your CLT account, and marking answers on CLT practice tests.
- Set your device to enter sleep mode only after at least fifteen minutes of inactivity. This will minimize the chances of your device falling asleep, and possibly signing out of your cltexam.com session, during the ten-minute restroom.
Make sure your device’s notifications are off while you are in the testing room. Learn how to do this from this article.
If you are taking today's remote-proctored CLT, please disregard the checklist below.
Test Day Checklist